Pages

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Book review: Go set a watchman by Harper Lee.


To kill a mockingbird is one of my favorite classics. I really recommends everyone to read it. When I heard about Go set a watchman last year I had very mixed feelings about it. I heard people both loving and hating the book.  I was afraid it would ruin my opinions of the characters I love so much.  Instead I feel in love with this story and even more in the characters, than I already had before.

26 years old Jean Louise Finch "Scout" return to Maycomb, Alabama to visit her aging father, Atticus.  She has lived in New York for a while, away from her family and where she grow up. Being back bring old memories to the surface. From her childhood time with her brother Jem. At the same time the civil rights movement is starting to show in Maycomb. Scout becomes struck by how racism pervades the town and specially the people who are closest to her.

I love Go set a watchman. It is perhaps not as good as To kill a mockingbird, but I find the story interesting and the characters still lovable. Yes things is a little bit different from the first book. At the same time it feels realistic. Because Scout was a child in the first book and now she is an adult woman. We all see our parents as perfect, our heroes in our childish dreams. Then someday we alle become adult and realize no one is perfect. Something I feel is the case for Scout and Atticus father - daughter relationship in this book.

Atticus was one of my favorite characters in the first book and he still are. I love him even though he is an old man with some racism thoughts. Yes the racism is hinting to record his opinions but the same time you understand where it all comes from. Even though it's still racism in some ways.

On character I really missed in this story was Jem. I did really love him in To kill a mockingbird and I felt so sad while reading. Specially when Scout was talking about how much she was missing him and her memories about him in her childhood and when they where older.

I did love her love interest Henry "Hank" Clinton. Their interaction was sweet. I also love her uncle Jack. Her fathers brother, a retired doctor. Jack was one of my favorite characters in this book. I love him and specially his conversation with Scout and how he gave her advice.

In To kill a mockingbird I felt it was very obvious who was the good ones and who was bad. In Go set a watchman everything isn't black or white. You see things differently and in some ways you understand both sides.

I give this book 5 stars. Yes it was different in some ways but I still love this world and the characters in it.

~ Elin ~



No comments:

Post a Comment