Pages

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Book review: More happy than not by Adam Silvera.

More Happy Than Not

I don't know where to start with this book. This is one of those books that is hard to forget after reading it and difficult to describe to others. It's a strong debut novel. Adam Silvera is my new favorite author without a doubt. I wanna warn against some hard content. Some of the things that happened in the book are suicide, hatred against sexuality, guilt, friendship, love and violence.

More happy than not is about 16 years old Aaron who is struggling to be happy after his father took suicide. With the help of his girlfriend Genevieve, his brother and his overworking mother, he tries to recover after a hard time. It's not easy when he is constantly reminded of what happened by watching the scar on his arm after his own almost suicide.

When Genevieve is gone for two weeks, Aaron uses all his time to hang out with the new boy Thomas. Aaron's friends notice it and are not exactly happy about his new friend. But Aaron can not help feeling happy with Thomas and an opportunity to be himself.

In Aaron's world there is something called the revolutionary memory change of the Leteo Institute, people can take an operation that makes them forget about wounded memories and become more happy.

Aaron considers this when he realizes that he has feelings for Thomas and does not want to be gay. These are just part 1 of the story. In the middle of the book, one unforeseen event happens after the other and I can not understand I did not understand it earlier. Especially when you get a new view of a character you meet earlier in the book and find out that Aaron has already been to Leteo. I will not tell you too much, since I feel this is a book you should read without knowing too much about it in advance.

At times, I felt very sorry for Aaron, especially when we found out the truth about his father and the way he reacted when his son told him he was gay. It made me angry, frustrated and really pissed. Everything you feel when someone is not accepted for who they are. Then you have the so-called friends of Aaron who are not much better. I loved Aaron's brother and mother, I enjoyed his friendship with Thomas and his relationship with Genevieve. Although it ended as it did for obvious reasons.

The whole story of Aaron is completely insane at times, you don't understand it. How can a person experience so much grief at such a young age? At the same time, it's all about living, about being yourself and accept yourself for who you are. The book asks many questions about being human and what makes us happy.

I feel this whole review is a big mess, but it's hard to describe it in any other way. I don't know what else I can say than: Read it. This is one of the best books I have read for a long time, it's unique and something special. It makes you think and ask questions. A very good book about serious things. I recommend it for the age of 15+. 5 stars.

~ Elin ~

No comments:

Post a Comment